Almarin collaborates in the renewing of the lighthouse of Islas Medas
Almarin has supplied and installed the new light for the Medes Islands lighthouse on behalf of the Barcelona Port Authority. This lighting equipment consists of two VLB44 model LED light source flashlights. Both work synchronously, providing the headlamp with a range greater than 16 NM with atmospheric visibility of 10MN (T = 0.74). The adopted dual independent flashlight solution saves one backup light. In case of failure of one of the flashlights, the other illuminates independently, minimizing the nominal range of the ligthouse.
The new lighting equipment brings to the lighthouse a series of improvements, among which are a longer range, reduced consumption (from 250W to 130W) and less maintenance. The reduction in consumption allows savings in the energy system, consisting of solar panels and batteries (now it operates with only six 95W panels). LED luminaires lengthen the period of preventive intervention, since they avoid the need to replace lamps. In addition, the Barcelona Port Authority can now monitor the lighthouse's main data through its remote control system.
The supply of the lighting equipment is part of a complete reform of the lighthouse carried out by the Port Authority of Barcelona. The Medas Islands lighthouse was built in 1868 and, lined with the Roses Lighthouse, it marks the Gulf of Roses.